History and Origin of Pizza
The history behind pizza is rather convoluted, but most believe it originated in Italy around the late 18th century. The first known mention of pizza was from 1736 when an Italian man wrote about “the Neapolitan dish of Pizza” for his cookbook entitled La Moderna Pizzaria. This would make sense given Naples was one of the main ports through which trade with America occurred at that time and was also home to many American military personnel during World War II.
Regardless, the modern day version didn't reach its current form until after WWII when immigrants from Naples opened their own pizzerias in America. Ever since then, pizza has been a favorite of many around the world for its taste and quick preparation time.
How to Celebrate Pizza Day
Go to your favorite Pizza Restaurant
Many pizza restaurants will be offering specials and coupons in honor of Pizza Day. Check online and enjoy!
Make Homemade Pizza
There are many recipes for pizza, but the following is a basic guide to making a simple and delicious pie at home.
-1 ball of pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
-1/2 cup of tomato sauce
-1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
3. Spread tomato sauce over the dough. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the dough and add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add additional toppings before or after the mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
6. Allow pizza to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.
Buy a Pizza Oven
Ever wanted to cook a pizza in a pizza oven? Today is a great day to treat yourself or loved one a new pizza oven!
Have a Pizza Party
If you love get-togethers or are looking for a reason to get together with friends, family or co-workers, today is the perfect day! Order some pizzas or have a pizza making contest!
Send a Surprise Pizza to someone
Pizza Day is a great time to think about someone else who loves pizza and surprise them with a pizza delivery to their door.
How Pizza Day Unites People
Pizza is the ultimate party food and there are very few people who don't like pizza! So gather together and share some pizza!